Keeping in mind the priority for the Northern Karnataka, the Salesians accepted the invitation by the Bishop of the area and began pastoral and social intervention in the Raichur District in 1996. The activities were initiated from Deodurga and later extended to Yadgir. At Deodurga, we began the promotion of education in the rural villages. Later we provided boarding to children from far away villages so that they can have access to good education.
1. Boarding: In 2001, a boarding for school children was begun at the Don Bosco centre. The boarding was started to provide access to education for the children from the villages. Separate facilities are provided for the boys and the girls who number about 97(42 boys and 55 girls). We also reach out to many others by assistance for their education.
2. Evening classes: Now, there are 35 children (20 boys and 15 girls) attending the evening classes. The aim is to help the school going children to improve the academic performance and for the school dropouts to become literate or to get them ready for readmission in formal schools. Two hours of classes are conducted in the evenings.
3. Women’s Groups: For the empowerment of poor village women, the women are organized into groups. At present we have four groups with a total membership of 75 and more groups are under formation. It is aimed to help them develop the habit of savings and also make them a united body that can fight for their rights.
4. Lower Primary School: A lower primary school was started in 2002 at Don Bosco Deodurga to provide quality education to the children of the area. There are about 285 children at present who attend the school.
5. Medical Camp: Medical camps are organised in 10 remote villages once in a month for the health care of the people in these villages. People in these villages suffer from different sicknesses like malaria, typhoid, jaundice, TB etc. An average of 600 patients is treated every month at these medical camps.
6. Development Projects: We have initiated other projects such as assistance for live stock, sinking of borewells etc for the people to increase their income through agricultural and related activities. We helped 21 families to sink borewells for their cultivation.
7. Pastoral Ministry: The Sahaya Mathe church also takes care of the pastoral needs of about 50 families in the whole Taluk.
8. Dispensary: A dispensary is run for the people in the villages. It is looked after by the Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate.
Sahaya Mathe Church
Deodurga, Raichur – 584 111
Phone : (08531) 26.01.39