The people, who lived in the slums around Cantonment area, were moved out to Lingarajapuram area in view of the SAARC meeting held in early 1980s. Since then many more people have joined the slum dwellers here making it a thickly populated area of Bangalore City.
The Salesian cooperators attached to the provincial house were involved in social reach out programmes. Their efforts to find a place resulted in purchasing a place in Lingarajapuram. This was to be used for such purposes as study, tuition and a centre for the children already from early 1990. Later the programme was extended to benefit the larger community through activities such as day care center and crèche for small children, programmes for the women of the slum, dispensary and medical facilities etc.
The centre has grown with multiple activies and programmes reaching out to the people in the neighbourhood.
1. Crèche and Pre-school : This programme takes care of very young children who are up to the age of five or six. According to the age the group of more than 100 kids are
divided into two sections and programmes organized for them.
During the day their nutritional needs are met and the activities ensure integrated growth of the children. Additional programmes include regular medical examinations, meeting and instructions to the parents on a monthly basis etc.
2. Evening School: About 350 children from the slum areas who are attending the schools in the surrounding areas attend this programme. They are provided nutrition as they come from schools, facilities to study and also special tuition when required, extra curricular activities during the year etc.
3. Computer Centre: To provide computer literacy and proficiency for the young people of the area the computer centre offers various courses during the year. Many have been able to learn computers and also obtain jobs with the skills that they have acquired.
4. Tailoring Centre: This programme benefits more than 120 girls or women every year. Many are able to take up tailoring jobs on their own or join shops or factories that employ them as tailors.
5. Community Development Activities: Through the parents of the beneficiaries we have direct involvement in the slum area and the women and youth groups are organized towards better participation in their own development. We use this forum also for further instruction, education and awareness to the larger community.
6. Dispensary: The dispensary has been a great help to the slum dwellers. The nurses available on a daily basis and doctors who come on a weekly basis offer consultancy as well as medication for the normal ailments. The frequent medical camps organized help in identifying those who require special attention and they are thus assisted.
7.Parish: The Don Bosco Parish takes care of the pastoral needs of about 1500 families. The daily Eucharist as well as the various liturgical celebrations enrich the faith and life of the people.