The Salesian presence in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala, was begun in 1991 to cater to the needs of the poor youth, especially the street children. Don Bosco Nivas, near the railway station is a presence for the formal education of poor youth. Don Bosco Centre, with the parish church has been entrusted to the Salesians in 1994.
1. Don Bosco Veedu
The centre is for the empowerment of the youth of the neighbourhood through training in TV and Radio mechanics (1288 beneficiaries so far), value education and Job Placement. It organizes evening tuition for the poor children of the neighbourhood. There is tailoring and embroidery training for the poor girls of the neighbourhood.
2. Don Bosco Nivas
The programme for the street and slum dwellers is coordinated from this centre. The activities are listed below:
- Street presence and street contact: This helps to identify the newcomers and to reintegrate them in their family and to follow up the contacted children.
- Job placement: The youth are given non-formal training and placed for jobs in the city.
- Health care: Health awareness and HIV/AIDS Prevention programmes are given through health education. Literacy classes, Value Education and preparatory courses for married life. This programme benefitted 3100 people so far.
- Talent enhancement: Through sports, music, athletics and recreational facilities.
- Drug de-addiction: Those identified are helped through referral services and preventive awareness programmes are organised.
- Tuition class: For the children of the neighbourhood especially from the slum areas. A total of 274 children are benefiting from this activity.
- Networking: With Government Departments, NGOs and other child/youth welfare groups.
- Child Line: It is a 24-hour service for children in distress with the free dialling facility on number 1098. The institution works in collaboration with 61 agencies to make this service a veritable success. So far 9850 children have benefited from this programme.
- Slum development programme: It includes tuition classes for children of Karimadam colony, education sponsorship (48 beneficiaries), Adult Literacy (147 beneficiaries), Women Empowerment Programme and the Youth Animation programme.
Don Bosco Veedu
T.C. No. 59/1845, Manacaud
Thiruvananthapuram – 695 009
Phone : (0471) 246.36.81
Email : email@example.com