Don Bosco, Tumkur, is the aspirantate, which was shifted here from Mysore in June 1997. In 1998 the community started its involvement in the neighbourhood and the aspirants started visiting the three neighbouring villages and began oratories there. In June 1999, tuition centers for the school children began. In February 2000, the work for child labourers in the town was begun. The house started non-formal classes for the child labourers in different centers. In June 2000, a boarding was opened for the high school students. Child labour rehabilitation centre was started in November 2002. A high school was started in June 2004.
1. Aspirantate: It is a training centre for training young boys aspiring to become members of the society of Don Bosco. There are 54 aspirants here now. There are different activities for the effective training of the aspirants that help them to grow in all aspects. Holistic development is envisages through spiritual, physical, intellectual, social and emotional growth programmes.
2. Boarding: To contribute to the holistic development of the poor youth, the community of Don Bosco Tumkur operates as a youth developmental centre. There are 79 students who are beneficiaries of this residential programe. These young men are doing their pre university courses or attending the High school.
3. Rehabilitation of the child labourers: By realizing the need of the hour, a centre for child labourers of Tumkur district was opened in the year 2000. The child labour special school was begun in 2002 and now it acts as a humble abode for 40 child labourers
of Tumkur district. They actively participate in all the programmes that are organized for their holistic development. Today we are proud to say that 25 school drop outs/child labourers are attending regular classes in the school with lots of enthusiasm.
4. Daily Tuition classes for the poor village children: Empowerment of the poor youth as educators, make this project of daily tuition classes for the poor students of five villages around Don Bosco house, a reality. The Pre University Students, who are under our care, organize these tuition classes for the poor children of the village. There are 144 (87 boys and 57 girls) students attending the tuition classes on a regular basis.
5. Reach out programmes through Sunday youth centres: Don Bosco Tumkur extends its service to the youth of this region through various kinds of reach out programmes organised through Sunday youth centres. We extend our services to five villages of D.M Palaya, Kanteerarapalya, Marelina Halli, Kupoor and Narasspura through this venture. The students of our institutions themselves took initiative for this project. It is basically a process of imparting their knowledge and skills with poor youth of the society. The principal aim of this project is to empower the local, semi-literate and unemployed youth with knowledge, skills and right attitudes. Over 600 young ones benefit from this activity.
6. English Medium High School to offer quality education to youth.
7. Computer classes benefit 25 (11 boys and 14 girls) students.
8. Spoken English classes benefit 21 students(7 boys and 14 girls).
9. Visits to the schools for promoting cultural and recreational activities.
Sira Road, Tumkur – 572 106
Phone : (0816) 221.16.51
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org